Today we will:
- Discuss news of the day — apply what you have learned in this class to current news stories
- Discuss final pieces — answer questions
- Discuss grades
- Discuss the future of news — why there is reason to be optimistic about journalism
- ESPN: Ray Rice reinstated
- NYT: Ray Rice
- Huff Post: Elizabeth Lauten resigns
- Buff News: Lance Leipold
- WBFO: Leipold
- NYT: Climate talks
- WBFO: Nick Kristof in Buffalo
- Vox: Putin and Merkel
- Vox: Nature will make academic papers free
The Future of Journalism
Esquire: Luke O’Neill — lousy reporting and online hoaxes show that “traffic at all costs mentality” costs. Lose veracity, newsworthiness, relevance
- NYT: What is VOX?
- NYT: VOX?
- Vice: News
- Investigative News Network
- Center for Investigative Reporting
- Pro Publica
- Pro Publica– Dollars for Docs
- The Intercept
- The Atlantic: What is Medium?
- Patch — Errors that doomed it
- Michele’s List — Michele McClellen — small start ups that provide local news
- CIT media
- Forbes 30 under 30 and future of news
- J-schools evolve in digital age
Homework: Finish final pieces. They are due in class Dec. 4. If you want your final piece back, please bring a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your piece.