Today we will:
- Quickly review news and what is due and when
- Discuss next week’s topics and readings
- Listen to Harvey Berman’s talk and ask questions
- Assignment 1 final draft due today at end of class
- No class Thursday
- NYT: stories on: air attacks in Syria and Iraq, Ebola, climate change
- NPR: New hostage videos
Write the first five to seven paragraphs of a news or feature story based on the speaker’s talk. The assignment is due at the start of class on Tuesday, Sept. 30.
If you do a hard news lead, include the who, what where, when, why and who cares of the story in the first few paragraphs. Then follow it with a supporting quote and at least another paragraph.
If you do a feature lead, make sure you have a strong nut graph as your 3-4 paragraph. This explains what your story is about and why you are writing it. Include at least one quote from the speaker, plus a few supporting paragraphs below the quote.
- There is no class Thursday, but you are responsible for the readings, which are: Field Guide 16-17 and Zinsser 12 and 15.
- For Tuesday, please read Field Guide 23-25. We will be discussing these three chapters in class as we talk about bias in news.
- Work on your news stories — first draft due 10/2