Today we will:
- Discuss the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff and the spread of nude celebrity photos over the weekend
- Talk about Assignment 1 — Explainer
- Review some writing basics based on your room pieces
News round up
- Miami Herald: Sotloff Israeli citizenship was hidden from jihadists
- US News and World Report: Beheadings probably won’t cause large reaction
- Buzzfeed: News blackout of ISIS needed
- Daily Beast: Don’t let ISIS determine the online narrative
- NYT: Should Times have posted video of beheading?
- Slate: 5 things ISIS wants
- Buzzfeed: Boycott the photos
- The Guardian: Nude photos spreading
- NYT: Perez Hilton apology — debate sparked over what to do
- Digiday: Rise in explainer journalism
- Slate: Explainers
- National Geo: What’s a mudslide?
- Student Society for Science: What’s a hookah?
Ideas for explainers
- What is UB 2020?
- What is UB Finish in 4?
- What is the plan for the Medical Campus?
- What’s happening with fracking in NY state?
- What is happening at UB Engineering’s Earthquake Simulation Facility?
- How polluted is Lake Erie?
- What are the problems with the Scajaquada Creek?
- What happens to the brain when someone is beheaded?
- What’s a concussion?
- What is Bitcoin?
- How do eating contests work?
- How safe are e-cigs?
- What are the biggest issues in Internet privacy?
Reading for Tuesday Field Guide, forward, editors’ notes cha 1-2, Zinsser chs 1-3