Today we will:
- Discuss a few current science news stories
- Talk about “Can A Jellyfish Unlock the Secret of Immortality?”
- Talk about the importance of explaining hard stuff to readers — and about how hard that can be. Get an overview on explainers in journalism.
- Do an in-class writing exercise
- NYT: Robots: “Brainy, but far from Handy.”
- NYT: Taxi Sharing
- Nature: Ebola mutating as it spreads
- NYT: What Foods Make us Fat?
- ELoves: New Words added to Dictionary
- Buff News: Neanderthal paintings
- Knight News Tracker: Mice Story doesn’t explain well
- Live Science: Napa Earthquake — how did it happen?
- Economist: The Economist explains
- Poynter: How to create better explainers
- Five thirty eight
In-class assignment — pick one of these or your own
- How does a car burn fuel?
- How does chemotherapy work?
- How does sugar affect the body?
- How does an airplane fly?
- How do bees make honey?
- How does a tornado work?
- What causes a tornado?
- How does a wound heal?
- How does a can opener work?
- How does a bottle opener work?
- How do we taste food?
- How does fracking work?
- How does solar energy work?
- How does a submarine work?
- How does a lacrosse stick/tennis racquet work?
- Start thinking about ideas for Assignment 1
- Buy the books — readings from books begin on Thursday