Today we will:
- Talk about science in the news and the difference between how scientists think and how the public thinks.
- Talk about the job of a science journalist
- Look at current topics in science news
- Review how the course works.
- NYT: Science
- Science Magazine
- Science Daily
- National Geographic
- NBC News Weird Science
- ABC: Bigfoot
- Obama on climate change
- Richard Feynman
- Boring lecture
Ebola– What story should journalists be telling?
- CBS: Atlanta: Doctor: Ebola Outbreak is ‘Spinning out of Control.’
- Slate: Virus Spiraling out of Control
- LA Times: Foreign Relations Committee says outbreak out of control
- Donald Trump: Tweets
- Bloomberg: Tom Randall: Don’t worry about Ebola
- Big Think: David Ripek — How Ebola Helped us Vaccinate Against the Danger of Fear
- NYT: Adam Nossiter: Don’t touch the walls
- Front Page Africa/NYT: Wade Williams
HOMEWORK: Bring in a recent science story and be ready to talk about it. No writing necessary.